[luau] Japanese scripts

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 29 04:17:42 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ultrafunkula" <gutierrej001 at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 12:22 AM
Subject: [luau] Japanese scripts

> hey Warren can you please tell me how to run applications in Japanese,
this
> afternoon you mentioned some scripts you can run to be able to do kana &
> kanji under KDE, will you post them on the mplug site or on the list?
> TIA
>
> Julio

Pre-requisities:
Red Hat 7.2 or higher with Canna and kinput2 or equivalents.

#!/bin/bash
kinput2 -canna &
LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7

I made this into a little script called /usr/local/bin/ja

Then I can run programs in Japanese mode like

ja mozilla http://www.google.co.jp
ja netscape http://www.yahoo.co.jp
ja kmail

SHIFT-Space to activate Japanese input.  Type romanji and use space to
select alternatives in hiragana, katakana or kanji.  Always hit ENTER after
you want to commit a certain Japanese word before you type a new word.