[luau] Linux Based POS Systems Increase 80% in 2001

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 28 10:42:53 PST 2002

actually I've seen quite a few DOS based register systems that use the DOS
NFS mount utilizing a bootprom very similar to the linuxterminal
stuff....SantaCruzOperations (SCO) has just about captured the market for
POS stuff, but linux and BSD seem to be making quite a bit of headway from
what I've seen.

Rewriting a POS app is non-trivial and in talking to some of the POS
integrators, there has been interest in a pure linux solution, but they like
the support they've gotten from SCO. I can predict this changing, but not
quickly. The good news is that POS registers have been typically setup on an
embedded system of some sort, and the support of linux on embedded systems
is fantastic now...so maybe, just maybe we'll see change.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that traditional linux apps will get
bypassed for java or embedded java instead...especially now that
.java.policy rules have capabilities rivaling that of ipchains....got some
very cool verbs and nouns available in the policy file.

The thing I haven't figured out yet is how to create a system based policy
file that can override what has been put into the local user's policy file?
I'm also gonna ping the java users group....but this is more of a network
question so I thought I'd ping this group. I'm trying to close some
potential security holes that can all too easily be exploited by talented
programmers.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab