[luau] Anti Virus

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Wed Mar 27 16:25:06 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, MonMotha wrote:
>I have yet to see a linux virus in the wild.  Heck I haven't even seen
>any proof of concept viruses (worms though).

It is probably due to the open source/free software environment.  In the
old days, the late 80's ;-), viruses are spread via shareware.  These are
binary distributions you download from one BBS or another.  Who knows who
uploaded those things.  But most people download binary packages from the
distributors now.  So there is no way for people to insert viruses or
worms or trojan horses.

The biggest problem facing the open source/free software world is not
viruses, but security bugs.  Too bad there is no software to detect these.
I mean detect them in a generic piece of software, not on a system
configuration.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org