[luau] Connecting NT from Gnome

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:36:12 PST 2002

>From: "Ralph Miranda" <dragonhawk007 at hotmail.com>
>Is there anyway I can Mount NT hardware while I'm still in Gnome?  I'm
>using the dual operating system..  with Windows 2000 on half and the other
>half has Mandrake 8.1
>
>NT hardware?  You can mount NTFS partitions as read-only, if you
>specifically compile support for it into the kernel (or as a module).
>
>Then you just do
>
>mount [partition] [mount point] -t ntfs -oro --Ray
>

>Most of this is all Greek to me.  But I do know that my files are NTFS, I
>set it up that way.  What I don't understand is how do I find out what the
>{partition} and {mount point} is?  and how do I find the information so I
>could do this?  I hate logging in and out going from one operating system
>to another.  I also, don't mind my NT being read-only.  I don't have a
>problem with that.
>
>Thank you,
>Ralph

On NT - if it's 2000 - then you can review the hard drive partitions like
this -
click -
     control panel - computer management - storage (disk management)

Then, on the right-side plane, you can review such info.  On Linux, use
fdisk with the p options to print (review) the partition info.  In any case,
you could compile into the Kernel some NTFS support, but I'll defer to some
others on that topic.

I prefer Samba server stuff, but that requires another computer.

>What I don't understand is how do I find out what the {partition} and
>{mount point} is?  and how do I find the information so I could do this?

It depends.  Just like when you mount /dev/fd0 to /mnt/floppy (or any other
mount point you wish, you can crave out a solution that meets you desire.
But, again, I will have to defer to others on specifics, since I have never
done that.  I prefer to dedicate a computer to one OS.

Patrick Kennedy