[luau] Road Runner

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Mon Mar 25 15:30:33 PST 2002

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Ray Strode wrote:
>That's not a problem.  That's a choice.. He only wants it to give him
>internet on demand (when he plugs the cable modem into the already
>running box).

Is this proven to work?  DHCP has some kind of keepalive mechanism.  If
you unplug the cable at the wrong moment, the server could drop the link
altogether.  I guess if you re-start the DHCP client on both the Windows
and Linux boxes, then it might work.

>>Second, as Patrick suggested, there might be a hardware problem.
>No.. It gets an IP address and Gateway.

This does not gaurantee it is not a hardware problem.  I once ran into an
intermittent problem that was a result of a bad cable.  When doing trouble
shooting, one has to keep an open mind about such things.

>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>sets some environment variables that /etc/init.d/network
>script uses to know what to do.

Editing those scripts seems to have fixed the startup problem at bootup.
Though I should give a warning about doing those 'echo' edits of startup
scripts like this one, even if it is only a data file.

I did this on my Debian system when I first started.  What happened was
that when I upgraded to a new version, the installer detected that I
changed the files and requested to save the originals.  This would mean I
would have to re-edit all of the changed files, and at this point, I have
no idea which files I changed.  What I ended up doing was to figure out
how Debian was designed to provide the user modifications that I wanted.
Debian has separate files that a user can edit, that extends the
configuration.  This is the correct way to make modifications, and in
future upgrades, it *just works*.

So now, I am hesitant when someone asks me to just edit script files that
has a comment at the top of the file that says not to edit.  Since Mark
found a config tool that makes the necessary changes, I think that would
be the safer route.

>>1.  Mark, you need to login as root from your KDE environment to run all
>>of the commands that everyone is asking you to run.  The reason you got
>>an error when you typed 'ifconfig' was because you were not root.  Ray,
>>Warren, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't RedHat include /sbin in the
>>path when you are logged in as root?
>It does, but depending on how super user priveleges are gained, the
>exisiting environment may be inherited, so the path and such may be
>still set to the previous user.

When I use 'su' to gain superuser privileges, the PATH variable is changed
completely.  This is what I would expect, since you do not want 'user
paths' to be in the superuser PATH variable.  The superuser should not
just run any program from random locations.  So, cleaning out the PATH
variable is a good thing.

>>Another benefit of using a terminal application instead of Ctrl-Alt-F7 is
>>that you can copy and paste the output of those programs into an editor.
>>The terminal app usually has a scroll bar, so if the output scrolls off
>>the window, just move the scroll bar up and copy the text.
>That's true (except Ctrl-Alt-F7 normally goes back to X, not to a console)

I meant Ctrl-Alt-F1.  My point was, it doesn't matter.  There is no need
to use it, no matter which key it was.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org