[luau] PPP connection

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 20:26:47 PST 2002

Hey, I did it!  I got pppd scripts working!  Thanks Al Plant for you
examples.  I reworked your stuff more inline with the howtos.  At first I
was logging into pixi.com, but when I reviewed the /var/log/messages, I
notice that my password (which has a $) did not include a $.  Therefore,
chat uses $ as a special character.

But rather than find out how you can escape $ in chat (can you?), I used a
logon for AT&T with chap support per Al's recommendation, and it worked like
a charm.  However, this is partly due to the fact that I have tried many,
many times before and failed.  So, sometimes it does take a while to learn
the ropes with Linux.

Actually, it is usually easier to do eth0 connections than ppp0 connections.
  Modems are usually more problematic in general.  And ppp stuff at the
command prompt for Linux is very difficult compared to DOS, Windows, or
xWindow ppp stuff.

If anyone wants my config files, I'd be happy to post them.

Thanks again, Patrick.

>Patrick Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > Okay, how about this idea - can anyone email or submit a successful pppd
> > scripts configuration to me?  Or does everyone use ethernet or xWindow
>ppp
> > connectivity?
> >
> > I'm sure someone has a sound ppp scripts configuration.  And I bet I
>could
> > figure out what I'm missing by reviewing a real ppp config.
> >
> > Thanks.  Patrick.

>Patrick,
>
>Here is alonk to my homepage hawaiidakine.com and a ppp
>script that works with att.net
>
>See if this helps you.
>
>http://hawaiidakine.com/linux/attpppd.html
>
>  Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
>Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small
>Business Hawaii.
>Running Caldera Linux 2.4 & Free BSD 4.0 UNIX
>Support Open Source in Business and Computing.

Patrick Kennedy