[luau] Road Runner

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 03:50:43 PST 2002

>> If this is what comes up I don't see how netstat -r could have had
>> what it had. what does  /sbin/ifconfig -a    show?
>> You don't have to type the whole thing.  Just tell me if eth0 is there.
>
> Output:   eth0 is not there

Okay that means that the ethernet card's driver module isn't loaded.

> For fun, I ran this command.  I received the following output:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post: ifcfg-eth0: No such file or
> directory

okay you should have that file..type this:

echo 'DEVICE="eth0"' > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo 'ONBOOT="no"' >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo 'BOOTPROTO="dhcp"' >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

> After typing /sbin/ifconfig/ eth0 appears!!!!

Okay, what's happened is when you called dhcpcd the kernel module
autoloader loaded your ethernet card's driver module.

At this point you can type /sbin/lsmod and that will show you the name
of the module.  In the future if it doesn' load, then you can type
/sbin/modprobe [modulename]
to load manually.

> Then I typed the command /sbin/dhcpcd eth0  and received the output:
> ****  /sbin/dhcpcd: already running
> ****  /sbin/dhcpcd: if not then delete /var/run/dhcpcd-eth0.pid file

Yes, that's because you started it a second ago.

> What the hell is going on?!  Now, typing /sbin/ifconfig -a outputs the
> eth0 information:

It's because the kernel loaded the netcard driver when dhcpcd tried to
use it.

> eth0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr  00:C0:9F:06:5A:91
>      inet addr:66.91.114.64  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
>      UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MTU:1500  Metric:1
>      RX packets:812  errors:557  dropped:557  overruns:0  frame:0
>      TX packets:6  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0  frame:0
>      collisions:0
>      RX bytes:53514  (52.2 Kb)  TX bytes:3034  (2.9 Kb)

Note you have an IP address (66.91.114.64).  Very good sign.

> The output is:  /sbin/dhcpcd  [its in green?]

green means it's a file that you can run (it's a program)

> After typing resolv.conf at[root at localhost markk] & at [root at localhost
> etc], the output I receive is: bash: resolv.conf: command not found

resolv.conf is located in /etc and you were in /home/markk so it
couldn't find it.  But you don't want to type resolve.conf at the prompt
anyway.  It's not a program.  You can view it using cat

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Now that you've reached this point could you try pinging those IP
addresses mentioned in past mails.  I think you won't get the same error
messages now.

Also, just for the fun of it type
/etc/init.d/network start

and tell me if you instantly get internet access upon doing that :-)

--Ray