[luau] Road Runner

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 23 19:31:53 PST 2002

I think it was interesting what I saw happen with the manual pppd process
today, which may help Mark -

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem &

which you can type in by hand after logging in with minicom to an ISP.
Then, you can do this -

route add default gw <default gateway id address>

to finish the process.  Or you can do this -

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem defaultroute &
/sbin/dhcpcd ppp0

which will do the same thing, but you must add the option "defaultroute"
option to the pppd command.  Otherwise, the dhcpcd command fails silently.

That is, if you did this

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem &
/sbin/dhcpcd ppp0

without "defaultroute" option, dhcp will fail, but you still can still add
the default route after such a mistake as follows -

route add default gw <default gateway id address>

I think that something similar is happening with Mark's configuration.
Sometimes he does not have eth0.  But sometimes you accidently mess things
up while trying to fix things.  You must fix that first for Road Runner
connection - obviously - to work.

Then, if dhcp is the problem, just try this -

route add default gw <default gateway id address>

and this may finish adding dhcp gateway to your routing tables, since as I
recall from the netstat -rn output at an earlier point, you were missing the
required default route statement which dhcp should have added.  My problem
with ppp connection is that I can do it manually, but I have not successly
done it using scripts.  But, if I could, then I could cron to the net
anytime I wanted too!

Patrick.

>From: Jimen Ching <jching at flex.com>
>To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
>Subject: Re: [luau] Road Runner
>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:29:13 -1000 (HST)
>
>Mark, Ray, Warren,
>
>Ok, I have reviewed all of the new information, and here is my analysis of
>the situation.
>
>1.  The kernel is compiled with networking support and recognizes the
>Intel PRO/1000 Ethernet card.  Warren, I doubt a new kernel is needed.
>You mentioned there was a problem with the EEPro100.  This is an
>EtherExpress card.  I do not believe the problem you remember applies
>here, unless an Intel PRO/1000 is the same as an EtherExpress Pro100,
>which I doubt.  But I am not against upgrading to the latest kernel.  I
>just do not believe it is necessary in this case.  Mark, I do recommend
>you install a kernel version that Oracle has tested with.
>
>2.  DHCP is installed.  It must be, since running it resulted in an error
>message about it being running already.  More about this later.
>
>3.  All of the other information provided seems to indicate that the
>problem points to the DHCP/networking configuration.
>
>As I see it, there are potentially two problems.  First, DHCP does not
>seem to be running after bootup.  If you installed and correctly
>configured it, the system should have started it up at boot time.  If you
>were not able to find it with 'ps aux', it means the program ran into
>problems at startup, or something killed it after bootup.
>
>Second, as Patrick suggested, there might be a hardware problem.  But I
>doubt it is the cable.  This is assuming you moved the cable from your
>Windows box to your Linux box, instead of using a different cable for the
>Linux box.  If you are using a different cable, I suggest verifying the
>Linux cable is working by using it with your Windows box.  If Windows
>start to fail when using the other cable, then you know the cable is bad.
>If the hardware problem is with the Ethernet card itself.  I can only
>suggest swapping it with the Windows box, just as a test.
>
>Assuming the problem is _not_ with hardware, we still need to figure out
>why DHCP is not running, or was killed.  Unfortunately, I am not a RedHat
>user, so I have no idea how RedHat implemented their network
>configuration.  So if Warren and Ray could help me out, I have a few
>questions.
>
>In Debian, there is a directory called /etc/network.  In this directory,
>there is a file called 'interfaces'.  The contents of this file for me is:

>iface lo inet loopback
>
># The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
>installation
>iface eth0 inet dhcp
>         up /etc/dhcpc.sh
>
>iface eth1 inet static

> [...]