[luau] Road Runner

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Mar 22 14:38:36 PST 2002

> running ifconfig resulted in "command not found".  However, running
> /sbin/ifconfig resulted in:
> lo         Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           collisions:0
>           RX bytes:9934 (9.7 Kb)  TX bytess:9934 (9.7 Kb)

If this is what comes up I don't see how netstat -r could have had what
it had.
what does
/sbin/ifconfig -a
show?
You don't have to type the whole thing.  Just tell me if eth0 is there.

if it is there, what happens if you type from a root prompt:

/sbin/dhcpcd eth0

After you've typed the above, then does
/sbin/ifconfig
show eth0?

if /sbin/ifconfig -a doesn't show eth0, then tell me what
/sbin/lsmod
says.

> I will gladly post the information if someone will explain how to save
> the information from that message onto a floppy disk that I can put
> into my windows box so I don't have to retype it.  ITS HUGE!  I've
> retyped every other output you've seen me post.

you can redirect the output to a file by going like this (put a windows
formatted disk in your drive),
but I don't think dmesg output is *that* important at this point, so if
the above things work for you, then
you might not want to go to the trouble.
dmesg > dmesg-output.txt
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t vfat
cp dmesg-output.txt /mnt/floppy
umount /dev/fd0

> I don't understand why I don't see DHCP on the list.  I checked the
> box during the install!  But, I'll play Linux's silly little game.
> How do I uninstall and re-install DHCP?

It's probably not a matter of it being installed, but instead if it's
running.  It's not running because you haven't "activated" (in redhat
speak) your interface. Most people "activate on bootup" so they see it
in the list.  ps shows the currently running processes.  You almost
certainly have dhcpcd installed.  to verify type:
ls /sbin/dhcpcd
it should echo back to you /sbin/dhcpcd if you have it installed

>> 3.  If you get this far, it means everything is setup correctly.  To
>> verify this, make sure the various files needed for networking is
>> >present.  The DHCP client usually creates a file called resolv.conf
>> in >the /etc directory.  This file contains the IP address number for
>> the >DNS server.  A DNS server converts a hostname, like www.nbc.com
>> into >an IP number like 209.247.72.66.  I do not recommend making
>> your own >version of this file, unless you know what you're doing.
>> Hopefully, a >reboot will re-generate a new copy of this file and
>> overwrite the one >that Ray asked you to create. Type 'cat
>> /etc/resolv.conf'.  The output >should look something like:
>>
>> domain hawaii.rr.com
>> nameserver 24.25.227.34
>> nameserver 24.25.227.36
>> nameserver 24.25.227.32
>

> The output I received:
> nameserver 24.25.227.36
> search hawaii.rr.com

That's fine.  You can have upto two nameservers, but one is okay.  If
you have more than two the rest are ignored.

> The output I received:
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination   Gateway   Genmask   Flags   MSS   Window    irtt   Iface
> 127.0.0.0     0.0.0.0   255.0.0.0 U       40    0            0   lo

This has changed from earlier when you ran /sbin/netstat -rn yea?  The
other routing table was the better one :-)
What did you do then, that you haven't done now?