[luau] Road Runner

Mark Kellman mark_kellman at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 23 06:07:14 PST 2002

For some reason, each of the emails from the luau list was put into my junk
mail bin.  I apologize for writing new messages instead of replying, but I
only now have seen these messages after going into my junk mail bin which
had over 49 messages in it.  Again, I apologize.

Information is provided in the respective area.

>From: Jimen Ching <jching at flex.com>
>To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
>Subject: Re: [luau] Road Runner
>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:49:14 -1000 (HST)
>
>When I first tried to get my Linux system 'online', it took a few days
>too.  My problem was finding the right driver.  The Networking-HOWTO
>helped me a lot.  But it is very admin'y.
>
>From the emails that I have read, your system seems to have all of the
>hardware necessary.  So whatever problems you are having, is most >likely
>due to a configuration problem.  The best way to resolve this >is to go
>back to basics.
>
>(Note: all commands mentioned below should be executed from the root
>account.....

>1.  Make sure your computer was configured for networking.  Usually, >the
>network setup is done at bootup.  Thus, once bootup completes, run >the
>'ifconfig' command.

running ifconfig resulted in "command not found".  However, running
/sbin/ifconfig resulted in:
lo         Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           TX packets:152 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
           collisions:0
           RX bytes:9934 (9.7 Kb)  TX bytess:9934 (9.7 Kb)

>This will display all the network interfaces you have setup.  You >should
>see something like this:
>
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:25:50:E1
>           inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:2140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:2846 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:12 Base address:0xec00
>
>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>           RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>
>The numbers will be different.  But make sure the 'eth0' entry is >present.
>If it is not, then this is your first problem.  Your system >was not
>configured with networking.  You have to reconfigure the >system.  I don't
>use RedHat, so I can't help you here.

When I installed RH, I set up the networking from the install by checking
the box to automatically use DHCP.

>Note also the 'RUNNING' flag.  This means the interface is active.  If >you
>don't see the RUNNING flag, it means the network configuration at >bootup
>failed for some reason.  The bootup messages should have some >information
>about what went wrong.  You can try type 'dmesg' to re->display the bootup
>message.  If you are having this problem, you need >to post the output of
>'dmesg' to get further assistance.  Fortunately, >the other emails seem to
>imply this is not the problem.  So let's >continue.

I will gladly post the information if someone will explain how to save the
information from that message onto a floppy disk that I can put into my
windows box so I don't have to retype it.  ITS HUGE!  I've retyped every
other output you've seen me post.

>2.  RoadRunner requires DHCP.  This is a program that configures your
>computer to work with the RR server.  It obtains the IP address that >your
>computer will use.  If the DHCP client program did its job >correctly, the
>output of 'ifconfig' should have something like "inet >addr:192.168.1.2" in
>the eth0 entry.  This is my computer's IP address >number.  RR will most
>likely assign you a different one.  Usually >something that looks like
>24.XX.YY.ZZ.  They use different numbers for >different areas.  But they
>always seem to start with 24.xx.xx.xx.
>
>Another way to make sure DHCP is running is to list all of the >processes.
>You do this by typing 'ps aux'.  A list of all processes >will be displayed
>on your screen.  Look for 'dhcpcd' in the list.  If >you can't find this
>program in the list, then the DHCP client program >is not running, and this
>is a problem.  The easiest way to fix this is >just un-install and
>re-install it.  If the install asks you whether to >automatically start
>dhcpcd at bootup, say yes.

I don't understand why I don't see DHCP on the list.  I checked the box
during the install!  But, I'll play Linux's silly little game.  How do I
uninstall and re-install DHCP?

>3.  If you get this far, it means everything is setup correctly.  To
>verify this, make sure the various files needed for networking is >present.
>  The DHCP client usually creates a file called resolv.conf in >the /etc
>directory.  This file contains the IP address number for the >DNS server.
>A DNS server converts a hostname, like www.nbc.com into >an IP number like
>209.247.72.66.  I do not recommend making your own >version of this file,
>unless you know what you're doing.  Hopefully, a >reboot will re-generate a
>new copy of this file and overwrite the one >that Ray asked you to create.
>Type 'cat /etc/resolv.conf'.  The output >should look something like:
>
>domain hawaii.rr.com
>nameserver 24.25.227.34
>nameserver 24.25.227.36
>nameserver 24.25.227.32

The output I received:
nameserver 24.25.227.36
search hawaii.rr.com

>This output says there are three DNS servers that you can use.  If the
>first one fails, the next one will be used, etc.  Next, the DHCP client
>should have also configured the routing table in the Linux system.  To
>verify this, type 'netstat -rn'.  My computer has this table:
>
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
>Iface
>192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
>eth1
>24.94.72.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.248.0   U         0 0          0
>eth0
>0.0.0.0         24.94.72.1      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
>eth0

The output I received:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination   Gateway   Genmask   Flags   MSS   Window    irtt   Iface
127.0.0.0     0.0.0.0   255.0.0.0 U       40    0            0   lo

>Look under the 'Flags' column for 'UG'.  The 'G' says this entry is the
>_gateway_ for your computer.  This is how your computer accesses the
>Internet.  The IP address of the gateway is under the 'Gateway' column.
>In my case, it is 24.94.72.1.  Most likely, you will see a different
>number here.  If you can not find this entry, it means DHCP failed.  I >can
>only think of two possible causes.  1. the Linux kernel was not >compiled
>with networking support, so no routing table is present.  You >need another
>kernel in this case.  2. the RR DHCP server is down or is >rejecting the
>client.  If the later, it is an RR problem.  I have no >idea how you go
>about proving this.  Let's hope this is not the >problem.  ;-)
>
>4.  If everything above is ok, then it means your system is ready to
>network with the world.  To test it, try to ping the various >components of
>your network.  I would ping the gateway first;
>
>ping 24.94.72.1

The output I receive:  network is unreachable

>If this fails, it means the RR computer is down.  There is nothing you >can
>do at this point.  RR has to fix their computer.  Notice I used >the IP
>number instead of a hostname.  This is because I haven't >verified the DNS
>server yet.  So the next thing to do would be to >verify the DNS server.
>
>ping 24.25.227.34

The output I receive:  network is unreachable

>There were three listed in my version of resolve.conf.  So try the others
>if one fails.  Once you proved that a DNS server is 'reachable', test it
>out by issuing a lookup.  Type 'nslookup www.nbc.com'.  I get the following
>result from this command:
>
>Server:  hnlmail2.hawaii.rr.com
>Address:  24.25.227.34
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:    nbc.com
>Address:  209.247.72.66
>Aliases:  www.nbc.com

The output I received:  connection timed out; now servers could be reached