[luau] Legislative Alert: SSSCA becomes CBDTPA

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Mar 22 19:15:57 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rod Gammon" <gammonr001 at hawaii.rr.com>
To: "Luau List" <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 4:45 PM
Subject: RE: [luau] Legislative Alert: SSSCA becomes CBDTPA

> It occurs to me that Inouye is supporting this because its pro
entertainment
> media- it fits in with the recent ad blitz promoting Hawaii as a place to
> make movies (seen the Cheryl Crow video yet?)  E.g. Hawaii legislators
> support MPAA properties and they'll come here and spend some money. (IMHO-
> MPAA is a far worse, and more easily proven, monopoly than MSoft.  Their
> website proudly proclaims ownership of about 90% of entertainment
> properties!)

It may be possible that he was coerced (bribed?) by the MPAA to support this
bill, but he wouldn't be able to defend his decision on these grounds.
Whether CBDTPA is law or not, it seems to me that it would not have any
effect on whether Hawaii is an attractive movie production location or not.
If he wants to support legislation that would help movie industry acceptance
in Hawaii, he should go against the construction and trade labor unions that
have far too much power in Hawaii.  They are the prime cause of driving away
many mainland business.... but that's another story.

> Ah, one other ingredient is a good form letter.  These serve 2 purposes.
1-
> they make it easy for citizens.  2- Their uniformity lets legislators know
> that there is organization behind the complaints.
>
> How about a variant of Jeff's?  (But toned just a tad for readability,
> please forgive me for being a fool...)
>
> -rod g

Could you folks please find more resources about the CBDPTA and (formerly
SSSCA) and post links here with short descriptions of each URL?  After we
have a few more resources, some legal analysis of the bill and a few more
sample letters we can organize better sample letters, plan a pitch to
convince local people that this is a bad bill, and approach news
organizations.  I'm hoping that someone else on this list can spearhead this
effort because I'm stretched far too thin at the moment, but if nobody rises
to the occasion I will do it because this is important to the future of
everything we stand for.

Thanks,
Warren