[luau] localhost connections

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Mar 21 14:49:46 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Ray Strode wrote:
>Well TCP and IP are two different things and they don't fit in the same
>layer.  TCP goes in the transport layer (4) and IP is the network layer
>(3). The Data link layer (2) deals with the hardware address.

Not all networking protocols differentiate between a hardware address and
a network address.  The ISO model does not define such a difference.

>Each layer of the OSI model is wrapped by the lower layers, so TCP is
>encapsulated in IP, IP packets are then framed and sent out on the
>network (ethernet, atm, etc).

I think you are trying to define the ISO model in terms of how TCP/IP
works.  You need to go the other way.  The ISO model defines how a
protocol stack works.  We need to map TCP/IP into that model.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org