[luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Mar 19 17:34:56 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Strode" <halfline at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Dvorak: Is Linux your Next OS?

> ??? Warren you are a smart guy, but anyone whose used photoshop could use
> gimp within 20-30 minutes.  All the windows including the tool box and the
> layers dialog are nearly identical to photoshops.

The consensus of professional graphic designers is that GIMP is not as good
as Photoshop.  Either GIMP must be improved, or (as Dvorak thinks) Adobe
must release a Linux version of Photoshop for graphic designers to accept
the Linux desktop.

> You don't make any sense; both Gimp and Adobe use MDI.  The only
difference
> is Photoshop uses a Window-in-Window interface (and it didn't used to
> btw).

Oops.  Sorry, I misunderstood what MDI means.

> >  I suspect it shouldn't be too hard to modify Gimp to make it
> >more like Photoshop in layout, but nobody feels like doing it so it never
> >got done.
> >
> FUD

I really don't think so.  I think at least this should be an option in order
to give more interface familiarity to Photoshop users.  If you don't like
GIMP "Photoshop Mode" then turn it off.

> "all", "anything".  Mandrake may have improved some, but certainly not
> in "all respects".
> You couldn't expect software, any software, to prove in "all respects".
>  For one thing,

Have you even tried it?  I don't think I am exaggerating at all when I say
"improved in all respects".

> (I admit I didn't read the article you linked to in hte start of this
> thread, but that's
> because I have no desire to read any more of his articles.  He may have
> changed,
> I don't know, but judging from your email I think not).

I think his reasons are valid in "Acceptance of the Linux Desktop", but not
necessarily other reasons.  Yes, he is a clueless pundit that doesn't
understand the Open Source or Free Software motives, but think about it this
way... he's writing from their perspective, and those people are who we want
to eventually convince that the Linux desktop is good.