[luau] Linux Mandrake 8.2 Released

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Mar 18 12:59:43 PST 2002

ftp://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-iso/i586/
ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/mandrake/Mandrake/iso/

Many awesome improvements including: minimum 65MB installation, vastly
improved configuration programs, ext3, reiserfs, XFS, JFS, encrypted
filesystem, PHP Groupware, KDE 2.2.2, KDE 3.0 RC2, Gnome 1.4.1, Evolution
1.0.2, Nautilus 1.0.6, Supermount, 2.4.18 kernel, Firewire support... oh
heck, just read their page.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/82.php3

If you don't plan on buying their boxed product or if you simply appreciate
Mandrake's work, please consider either joining "MandrakeClub" or making a
one-time donation.
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/mdkfuture.php3
They seem to be in a bit of financial trouble right now, and they wont be
able to survive the short term without laying off some developers.  They
have already layed off some developers while most others have taken a
voluntary salary cut.  I've paid $120 because I really appreciate their
work.  Please consider giving something, even $20 on the donation page would
help.

MandrakeClub (yearly subscription similar to Red Hat Network)
http://www.mandrakeclub.com

One time donation page.  You can even choose an individual open source
project that you want to contribute toward Mandrake development (stuff like
kernel, KDE, Gnome, etc.)
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/donations/

I know some people don't feel comfortable with the idea of a "donation" to a
for-profit company, but I see this more as an "Investment in the Future" of
open source software.  Mandrake contributes heavily toward Open Source, so
by giving them money, I invest in the future of Open Source Software. No
matter what occurs in the future, their work will always exist for free and
open usage. 5 years from now, I wont have to buy it again from a proprietary
vendor.  Nobody can ever take these improvements away from us.

Oh shit, I lied.  If the SSSCA passes and becomes law, Open Source software
may become illegal.  You may want to become familiar with this wonderful
bill sponsored by the gracious Movie and Record industry.
http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html#1

What can you do about the SSSCA?
http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020308_eff_sssca_alert.html