[luau] Apache/DNS setup?

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 10 14:10:57 PST 2002

Patrick Kennedy wrote:

>> I have a domain registered to my regular dhcp based road runner
>> connection.  I know some nameservers are slow and don't like you
>> having an ip >that changes, but ZoneEdit doesnt' have a problem with
>> it at all.  I just use a >cron script to check my ip every hour and
>> update if it changes.
>> Takes a few minutes to update (depends from where you're looking too,
>> because some DNS servers in between update slower than others), but
>> it >works imo much better than like a myip.org or dyndns solution.
>

> Excellent.  I'm getting all sort of neat ideas now.  :)
>
> How does the cron actually update ZoneEdit?  Do you auto email the
> requested update, for example, to ZoneEdit?

I use this cron script that I wrote:

#!/bin/sh
MAIL=
PATH=/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
DATFILE=/etc/cron.hourly/oldip.dat
OLDIP=$(cat ${DATFILE})
IP=$(/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | sed -n -e "s/^.*addr://g" -n -e "s/ Bcast.*//p")

if [ x$IP != x$OLDIP ]; then

    echo $IP > oldip.dat
    lynx -source -auth=username:password
'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=domainname' >& /dev/null

fi

(where username is your ZoneEdit username, password is your ZoneEdit
password, and domainname is the domain
you registered)

It basically just goes to the updater website using lynx.

--Ray