[luau] Apache/DNS setup?

Patrick Kennedy patrickjkennedy at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 02:53:29 PST 2002

>I have a domain registered to my regular dhcp based road runner
>connection.  I know some nameservers are slow and don't like you having an
>ip >that changes, but ZoneEdit doesnt' have a problem with it at all.  I
>just use a >cron script to check my ip every hour and update if it changes.
>Takes a few minutes to update (depends from where you're looking too,
>because some DNS servers in between update slower than others), but it
> >works imo much better than like a myip.org or dyndns solution.

Excellent.  I'm getting all sort of neat ideas now.  :)

How does the cron actually update ZoneEdit?  Do you auto email the requested
update, for example, to ZoneEdit?

>>Then, register a domain name with networksolutions.com, or another
>>such group.  When filling out the forms, list your ISP's primary and
>>secondary servers, plus your static
>>IP.
>
>It's been a while since I registered, but I don't remember having to
>enter my ip. Just the ips of the nameservers.

Yeah, your right.  It's the nameservers that point to the desired IP.

>>The cost is about $35 per year to register a domain name.  However,
>>groups like networksolutions.com make it hard to find the forms, because
>>they >>want more $$$.
>
>Indeed.  I remember when i registered mine it kept changing back to 2 year
>subscription, (instead of the 1 year I
>was going for)  Finally I just said whatever and registered for two years.
>
>--Ray

The last time I looked around, the easy one- and two-year options were
totally obsured by the "WE'LL manage your site" package.  The thing is,
newer users may be more confused, and not realize this.

Patrick.