[luau] dns question?

R. Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Wed Mar 6 15:38:10 PST 2002

Wayne,

You are very correct.  I have removed the .sam extension from my hosts file,
and the win98 box can now resolve the ip address to my box.  Thanks for the
tip.

To review, if you want your windoze box to use a domain assigned to a local
server, but the domain is not public, then you need to edit your hosts file.
In the nt/2k world, this file is in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc.  In
the 98/95/me? world, this file is in the windows directory.  Edit it like
exampled, and save it.  Enable file extensions in your view and remove the
.sam extension.  I did not need to use the lmhosts file for my objectives.

Much aloha to those who took the time to offer their help

scott