[luau] dns question?

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Mar 6 13:50:36 PST 2002

R Scott Belford wrote:

> Does windows have an equivalent of /etc/hosts?  I ask because I have a
> mail server for my lan with a private ip.  My boxes use the internet and
> public dns servers.  I am guessing that the only way that I can send
> mail through the local mail server from a windows box to another lan
> client and be able to use a domain (fantasy, not registered) name is to
> set up a domain server on my lan that resolves my private ip address to
> whatever fantasy domain I choose.  If you made it through that last
> sentence, is this correct?  Is there a way to use fictional domains on a
> private lan using public dns without setting up a private dns?  I know
> that the domains can't be anything registered because the public dns's
> will resolve them to sites unwanted.
>
> scott

##########
Hi Scott,

In Windows M$.

There are two files C:/windows/hosts
and C:/windows/lmhosts

These are used when you run a lan. You have to set them up
in order for Unix or Linux to see the M$ Box.

If you need help call me at 808-622-0043 or email
webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
--
 Aloha! Al Plant -Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.80/mo.  Member Small