[luau] Newsforge: What Linux needs most (it's not more features)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Mar 3 16:53:53 PST 2002

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/01/1555254&mode=thread
Commentary: What Linux needs most (it's not more features)
- By Elwin Green -

I've had an epiphany. Let me tell you how it happened. My wife brings home
an issue of Newsweek (the January 28 issue, to be exact), and I'm browsing
through it, and it flips open to a big ad, a two-page spread with a nice,
clean look that attracts the eye. In this case, my eyes are drawn to a
banner headline, which reads: "A special message to Windows users: Welcome."
And I see a series of paragraphs with boldface headings that say, "Myth 1,"
and "Fact," then "Myth 2" and "Fact," and so on. My heart skips a beat
because my very first, hopeful thought is, "An ad for Linux?!?"

Nah. It's an ad for the Mac. Or rather, the iMac. And as it turns out, it's
not just two pages; it's 12 full pages of seductively well-designed text and
graphics. And when I realize that it's not an ad for Linux, I feel somewhat
sad, because in that same moment I realize that it couldn't be an ad for
Linux; that I will probably never see such a thing, because Linux does not
have a marketing department.

Which led to the epiphany: Linux needs a marketing department.

(continued in article)