[luau] Filter the Web with SquidGuard

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jun 28 23:25:00 PDT 2002

Aloha,

	Censorship is always a controversial topic and it has a time and a place.
The kindergarten example previously cited is certainly a good discussion
topic.   But MonMotha brings up a great point, and that point is that
censorship cannot be "one size fits all," it requires judgement and should be
tempered with reason.  That's why the local convenience store usually keeps
certain magazines out of the reach of underage patrons.  In any case, there
are always easily findable sites like

http://peacefire.org  and   http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/getpage.html

for those that feel the need to thwart typical censoring tools.

	Also remember that computers in classrooms are tools like any other tool a
teacher would use.  Last time I looked, every tool I have purchased also came
with a few disclaimers on appropriate use, and of course, their version of
the caveat emptor.  So don't blame unintended but reasonably foreseeable
consequences of Internet searches on anyone but the one who should have
intervened to prevent it.  If you are brave enough to turn a bunch of 5 and 6
year-olds loose on the internet and you don't take prudent precautions, you
have no one to blame but yourself.  If it were me, I'd block a few sites on
that box myself before I turned the kids loose on it and pray that I wasn't
surprised before the end of class.

	It's not just at kindergarten that you run into this though.  Recently, I
was researching arms control for a study at work and I ran into one of those
"blocked due to hate" rules when I tried to visit an article on arms
purchases by a certain country.  When I asked the NOSC what was up, they
blamed it on their new filter -- one that was recently installed without a
complete understanding of its inner workings.  The filter cannot be easily
reconfigured either.  I am told that you are tied to the vendor's blocklist.
As MonMotha points out, that is tantamount to turning over signifcant control
of your network to someone who cannot be held accountable for the outcome.
Anyway, when the NOSC examined the site in question, nothing offensive was
found and access was allowed for a while.  However, to do that they had to
turn off the "block hate sites rule" by unchecking the box. The end result of
this is that the box got checked again, and others no longer can use that
reference.   Unfortunately, the NOSC didn't see the need to contact the
vendor to get their product fixed either.  So it goes.

	I guess this is a rather susquepedalian way of saying the network
administrator role of balancing security, access, and other interests can
never be "just right."  On one hand, that means built in job security, and on
the other hand, it means headaches ad infinitum.  It also means that users
should be forewarned of the risks and that use of the tool implies a degree
of assent to the risk.

Just my $0.02

Respectfully,

Ben