[luau] News: Why Linux-loaded laptops have sold poorly

Allens allens at bigisland.net
Sat Jun 22 22:25:01 PDT 2002

People that work with Unix ought to install linux on their laptops, and they
often can buy quite expensive laptops.  I think it's more that IBM doesn't
really need to support linux, their machines will still run linux.  I also
think that IBM is about to make a major change in this area, such as sharing
space with Red Hat.  That's what I'd like to see, is Red Hat sell ThinkPads
and other hardware directly, then they could take the benefit from
supporting that kind of installation.  A hardware company doesn't really
want to have to support different OSes, even if they want more than one to
run on their hardware.