[luau] IBM Cutting Back on Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jun 19 08:59:01 PDT 2002

A quote from their article:
Thinkpads are an IBM platform strength, so we must ask ourselves: if IBM is
abandoning this market for Linux, are they giving up on Linux?

This is pure FUD bullshit!  Nobody is buying Thinkpads for Linux, and profit
margins on commodity desktops and notebooks are too low to justify keeping
people on payroll ONLY for Linux compatibility of this hardware.

Profit margins of Linux on their server platforms are high, and their sales
will continue to grow.  IBM is NOT backing away from Linux.

Check out this article from yesterday's Slashdot about IBM's Linux
commitment.
http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/18/1339201&mode=thread&t
id=136