[luau] NEWS: Microsoft Hailstorm becomes TrustBridge

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jun 16 13:31:01 PDT 2002

Microsoft's last failed attempt to control and tax Internet
authentication and financial transactions... renamed so you can trust
it!

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/02/06/16/1420211.shtml?tid=9

"The implementation is based around Kerberos v5, but it seems to be
clearly an ActiveDirectory-only implementation. I.e., you'll need a
Kerberos client built for Microsoft's extensions so it can interoperate
with ActiveDirectory. In a nutshell it seems like their Hailstorm
Initiative flopped, but some companies were far more receiptive to just
using the existing infrastructure offered with ActiveDirectory. And
don't be surprised if Microsoft starts marketing it as a "more open,
industry-standard technology" than Sun's Liberty Alliance because it
uses Kerberos c/o ActiveDirectory.

"One of the quotes in the eWeek article of the .NET product manager was
a bit scary IMHO:
'...it would be much more efficient if we could accept the identity
generated by somebody's employer. We need to get to a world where
identity can flow between organizations.'

"As if we didn't have enough of an issue keeping our employers from
reselling our info, asking for our signature so they can do a "credit
check" for some unknown reason (even though we might not be in a
priviledged/cleared position to warrant one), etc... Assuming Microsoft
markets this to employers, I'm sure they will "gobble" this up. I mean,
they'll say "hey, now we have a single, interrelated system to manage
our employes, both internal and external (e.g., employment/salary
verification, etc...), and we'll be paid to give out our employee's info
at the same time!" Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but this scares me
more than Hailstorm ever did!

(read more in the article, with links to CNET article)