[luau] Installing BSD on Dell P75t boxes

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sat Jun 15 16:05:00 PDT 2002

al plant wrote:

> MonMotha wrote:
> >
> > I've never done it with BSD, but I've had various forms of Linux on
> > older Dell comps.  All worked fine, however these were "general purpose"
> > comps.
> >
> > If the BIOS needs to boot from a DOS bootsector (some newer Compaqs do
> > it seems)...a way to get around this is to do somethign like load DOS
> > then use loadlin to boot Linux from DOS.  I'm not sure if BSD has an
> > equivilent, but it usually works for me with Linux.
> >
> > Where does the bootup procedure stop btw?
> >
> ##########
>
> I have a feeling that it may be the bios setup not recognizing the hd.
> It finds the memory, keyboard ,mouse then stops before the hd is
> detected with the line:
>
> Insert  bootable media in the  appropriate drive.

Hmm...

I just flashed the new updated bios and that is not the problem. It
still wont boot.
Same error.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043