[luau] lcd/flatpanel monitor question

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jun 8 12:50:00 PDT 2002

Your best bet if monitors are "unsupported" is to start tweaking your
XF86Config by hand.

XFree86 -configure (at the command line as root) will get you one to
start with usually by attempting to detect everything about your system
related to graphics.  Usually it does a fine job of getting things
detected and set up using PnP.  If you have a card with proprietary
drivers (ahem, nVidia) you will have to mess with those by hand of
course, but it often gets the monitor settings correct.

Sometiems you'll need to tell it the Horizontal and Vertical rates by
hand, but not always.  This info is almost always available in your
manual (if you bought your monitor separately) or from the manufacturer
(last resort, some monitors sold in computer bundles don't have the info
in their manuals, like my Dell).

I find that most hardware listed as "unsupported" really means "we can't
detect it very easily without breaking other autodetection mechanisms so
we don't support it".  Usually with a little hand configuration almost
any card/monitor combo can at least be made to do 640x480 at 256 colors,
usually better.

--MonMotha