[luau] Programming List

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jun 8 12:49:01 PDT 2002

> Just because a few people are not interested in some topics, that doesn't
> mean everyone else must refrain from discussing them.
I don't think anyone said they aren't interested (although I'm sure some
people aren't).

> With this said, I am concerned that people might hold back their
> programming questions because they fear it might offend a few subscribers.
> I think this is a problem that needs a solution.
Indeed.  I think one way to fix this problem is to draft a formal policy
of what is on topic for luau.  There were a few of us discussing this
not too long ago.  If we say luau is a great place to ask programming
questions in the policy, then that would probably solve the problem.

> If a separate mailing list will ease everyone's concerns, then so be it.
That would be another solution.  That wasn't the only reasons I was
saying to create the mailing list though.

> For open source and free software to succeed, users of all backgrounds
> must be free to post programming questions without fear of offending
> someone.
Definately.

So many people are either against the idea of creating a new list, or
are in the middle, I don't think I'm going to right now.

I think we should advertise though, that luau is an okay place to get
such help.

--Ray