[luau] Programming List

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Fri Jun 7 15:06:01 PDT 2002

I am not really doing a traceroute, just pinging some important points
along the way.  And I want more data than tracert gives.

>> the script pings several IPs on our way to the internet, tells
>> the user what is up and that is down
> isn't that what traceroute/tracepath is for? windows comes with a
> version called tracert.exe

This is pretty cool.  I wasn't even thinking this simple, but I can make
that work, I think!

> I haven't tested this, but it may work:
> echo "EHLO yourmailserver.com" > email.dat
> echo "MAIL FROM: Some User <someuser at yourmailserver.com>" >> email.dat
> echo "RCPT TO: Dusty <dusty at sandust.org>" >> email.dat
> echo "Subject: Network Status"
> echo .
> tracert www.yahoo.com >> email.dat
> echo "." >> email.dat
>
> telnet yourmailserver.com 25 < email.dat

Echo with a . prints a . so I am still looking for a way to print a blank
line.

>> don't know how to print blank lines to the screen in a batch file
> I believe it's just echo followed by a period on a line of its own.

I figured out how to replace chars like this, but I wanted to delete the
15th character in line 12 or remove the 5 spaces at the begining of line 4.

>> can't get EDLIN to delete single characters or spaces on a line.
> .rS1^ZS2
> will replace all occurences of S1 with S2 (^Z is control-z). if you
> omit the ^ZS2 then it will just delete all occurences of S1.

basically I repeat this:
ping -n 1 %ROUTER_INTERNAL_INTERFACE% > %temp%\zzxyy003.tmp
edlin %temp%\zzxyy003.tmp < %temp%\zzxyy001.tmp > nul
fc /w %temp%\zzxyy002.tmp %temp%\zzxyy003.tmp > nul
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 echo INTERNAL ROUTER INTERFACE (%
ROUTER_INTERNAL_INTERFACE%) IS DOWN
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 echo INTERNAL ROUTER INTERFACE (%
ROUTER_INTERNAL_INTERFACE%) IS UP

nine times and just use different varables.  There must be a way for me to
write this once and have it run 9 times with the correct information?