[luau] RedHat LAMP suggestions?

VYanagida victory at flex.com
Fri Jun 7 12:25:00 PDT 2002

Hallo Erich!

    I hope things are going well.

    Granted it probably would have been better if I had sent this to the
list instead of a direct reply, but there it is.

    I've recently started setting up BSD systems (specifically OpenBSD) at
work in place of my RH boxes. Actually, I haven't been *replacing* the Linux
boxes, I'm just not setting up any new ones.

    Anyway, before then I realized that I would run into some serious
version skewing and other headaches if I constantly tried to update all the
servers to the latest and greatest RH rev. To that end, I actually picked
one relatively stable version (6.2 believe it or not) and used that as a
basis for all my servers from then on. It also helped considerably because I
could collect one specific set of RPMs for LAMP and other stuff that I could
very quickly install on a new system because I had done it many times
before.

    The other thing I found helpful is to keep extremely detailed notes.
Hopefully others have better retention than I do, but I find that with so
many projects going on, I often forget how to do something I was working on
two weeks earlier! To that end I started keeping much more organized notes
on my laptop, often cutting and pasting specific install steps from right
from the docs of whatever you're working with. It's particularly helpful to
note the 'gotchas' and other snags that apply to a specific cases.

    [As an aside, have you heard about any type of system-agnostic (i.e.
web-based) notebook system that would allow easy synchronization to a client
CPU? In other words, a web-based notebook on a server somewhere that would
also allow you to keep local copies of the notes on your standalone PC?
Since OSX is actually running Apache underneath, I suppose I could just run
Nuke/Phorum/etc and mirror the content dirs over to the PowerBook...]

    Arg. This message got far too long. Have a great weekend and let me know
when your schedule might free up for lunch.

    -Vic

P.S. BTW, I know you're not a Mac guy (well, not recently), but I have a
Titanium PowerBook 400 for sale ($1000) if you know anyone interested. And
yes, it does come with OSX.