[luau] RedHat LAMP suggestions?

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Fri Jun 7 09:23:00 PDT 2002

Hi Guys!

I'm rebuilding an old setup (PII-266 w/ 256MB RAM, 40GB drive) and want to
put together a LAMP Setup (Linux/Apache/mySQL/PHP).

When installing what do most of ya do? Choose the options for these
packages on the initial install, pull down the RPMs for what you want, or
roll your own from source files? In the past I've had mixed results trying
to work from the default install options.

I'd like a clean system and make use of RH, but don't mind "hand" picking
the critical stuff and installing it.

I'm looking for comments on style of setup...IF there's sites or docs that
cover this in more detail, please let me know. I'm not looking for
absolute answers, this is probably more of a 'style' question than
anything else. I've listed some of the things I'd like to do with the box
below...

Thanks in advance!
	Sharky

---------

The system would handle my domain and a couple virtuals. I'd like to be
able to:

* RH version - I've got a boxed 7.2 pro setup....should I just grab the
7.3 distro and put that up instead of installing 7.2 and running up2date?

-- I kinda like linuxconf for doing minor management stuff, but hear a lot
of negative comments about it. Anything better for remote managing the
things that Linuxconf does? (I'd like to securely manage it remotely if
possible...via SSH or browser)

* access email - secure imap for when I have my laptop, secure browser
based for when I don't.

I've usually run sendmail, but that's only because that's what comes with
RH in the past and I haven't had to tinker much with it. Is the qmail
thing worth digging into?

* samba - I'd like to be able to have samba access via my internal network
at home to this machine (mostly for shuttling files) but keep the wild
heathen out on the open 'net side. Is this relatively safe if I restrict
IP addresses that can access the box?

* X-Windows - I'd love to start tinkering with X windows, but would like
to do it from my winblowz box (sorry, but a good portion of my work
requires me to use it). I know VNC is one option for connecting up to the
box, but are there any freeware x-windows servers that are solid? I
remember Xceed used to be the bomb (commercial)...worth investing in?

-- I don't plan to log in locally to the box much, just have it sit on a
KVM that I'll switch to for stuff that demands a local log-in. I'll do
most of my connecting via SSH.

* FTP - any "safe" way of doing FTP? Pro-FTP? or best to just stick with
scp for file copying when working between boxen?