[luau] Programming List

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jun 7 09:49:01 PDT 2002

> I just haven't seeen enough programming traffic to warrent a list.  I think
> the threads we get on LUAU about programming are good for non-programmers
> to see and maybe learn something from.
While I agree with you, I think some of the non-programmers may not. :-)

> I subscribe to several lists, so it wouldn't be a problem to subscribe to
> another, but I am not a programmer, so I don't think I would subscribe to a
> programming list.
Weren't you the one that posted a message about wanting to become a
programmer a while back?

> On the other hand, I do think it would be very useful to have a list for
> computer science/promranning for all the students out here and other
> programmers, but I think that list would spend way more time on VB and MS
> Access than anything related to opensource.  I don't know about UH, but
> everything I learned at HPU was VERY MS centric.
UH does pretty much all development on uhunix2, which is a sun box. The
exceptions I can think of right now are, Prof. Narayan requires MS
Visual Studio for about half his assignments (and gcc for the other
half), Prof. DeRyke requires Visual Basic and IIS for his classes, and
Prof. Gilbert is fairly pro-MS (although he's teaching a class on Linux
next semester).  Also, Prof. Suthers is very flexible and let's you use
whichever platform you like most.

> So I think most of our opensource related programming questions would come
> back to this list.
I guess that would all depend on if most subscribers came from HPU or
UH.  I think UH students would probably ask Java questions and questions
about C/C++.  And since, the main C/C++ compiler at UH is gcc, I think
it wouldn't be too difficult to advocate open source.

> So if you do start that programming list I need help trying to get a DOS
> batch file to do the job of perl or a unix shell script and it aint easy! :)
Does it /have/ to be a DOS batch file?  Will it be running on windows?
Have you heard of Cygwin (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin) ?  It's a
POSIX emulation layer for windows that lets you run unix programs like
perl, sh, csh, etc...  Basically you just have to distribute a runtime
dll and the programs you want to run (the shell, etc).

Also, I don't know if you know or not, but there is a windows version of
perl released by ActiveState.  Also there are windows versions of python
and tcl which are both very featureful scripting languages.

If you are really limited to the DOS platform (e.g., just command.com),
then you may be better off writing some of the more tricky parts in C
and have your batch file call them.

--Ray