[luau] Re: eMacs

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 13:55:00 PDT 2002

That won't emulate some of the oddities that companies do to "copy
protect" CDs.  Most of these things involve doign odd things physically
to the CD that requires the reader to be in a special mode to read
(which is why some drives make really odd noises during the copy
protection detect in games, such as slowing down and speeding up again)
or invalidating CD-ROM format (and having the drive detect that.
Usually takign an image of the CD (usign dd or similar) won't read that
additional information.  Also, the loopback device can't emulate that.

Fortunately, most Linux software is either free (as in speech and beer)
or so expensive that the CDs aren't copy protected (most really
expensive software for windows doesn't seem to be copy protected for
some reason, possibly because of it's special purpose nature and
likelyhood of being illegally copied and distributed anyway).

--MonMotha