[luau] Help With Dual Boot Install

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Jun 2 11:58:00 PDT 2002

As with all MS products, Win2k puts it's bootloader on the first block
of it's partition, not the MBR.  It expects the DOS MBR to be in place,
which will simply chainload the bootloader on whatever partition is
marked "active".  This is probably the better way to do it, though as
long as you keep a DOS bootdisk with fdisk handy to run "fdisk /mbr" in
case you screw something up, you should be fine.

This is what happened for me.  Win2k might have put it's bootloader
where it did instead of on the MBR because I already had lilo there, and
maybe it assumed I had something like System Commander (a commercial
bootloader by Norton I think) in place and didn't want to overwrite it.
  I've also reinstalled win2k before without it blowing away lilo (of
course I had a bootdisk ready JIC).

--MonMotha