[luau] MSWindows

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 16:16:01 PDT 2002

Randall,

	I won't quote the usual open source articles such as the Cathedral and the
Bazaar, or the Cluetrain Manifesto.  I won't even mention the Halloween
documents.  Instead I'll point you to a book I read years ago before Linux
was on anybody's mind.  This book, "Undocumented DOS" did more than anything
to convince me that Microsoft was run by the kind of people that I did not
prefer to do business with.  (Go get it from the library and read it.  While
the material is dated, I think the description of M$ business practices still
applies today.)  As soon as I could, I switched to OS/2 and used that until I
couldn't run any of the software that I need to run anymore. After that I
switched to RH 5.2 and have used Linux at home ever since.

	I won't argue that everything that M$ writes or published is evil, some of
it is pretty good.  I use many of their products daily at my job.  It is only
recently that offfice-ware products in the Linux world have caught up.  Even
so, M$ has made it increasingly difficult for folks to keep up with what they
do without spending lots of $$$$.  I for one had a difficult time explaining
to my boss why we had to upgrade all of our computers after a shipment from a
popular vendor delivered machines loaded with a version of software that was
not backward compatible.  It appears that synchronization of software in your
environment is part of the M$ scheme...  Suddenly, the new computers could
talk with each other, the old computers could talk also, they just couldn't
talk to each other without fouling up all the formatting and losing info etc.
Not a good thing...   Not only did we have to spend a lot more $$$ so we
could exchange office products at work and across several other agencies we
deal with, we had to spend an awful lot of time recreating our historical and
recyclable documents.  That was very frustrating, and from my personal
experience, the trend continues.

	The odd thing is that for the most part, I have yet to find a real
justification for the cash in terms of productivity that was not achieved
with the release of Windows 95 and its corresponding office suite.  Windows
98 and 2K have achieved little more than an incremental resistance to crashes
and have driven many upgrades and redos in the office in order to keep things
moving.  I'm not the only one that feels this way either.  The comm folks at
the base where I work have done some extensive research on what users do with
their office-ware.  About 95% (of several thousand users) never do anything
more complicated than authoring documents, using spreasheets, preparing
briefing slides, and email/net surfing.  A few design and implement web pages
or databases and occasionally a very few do computer aided design.  We had
all that with Windows 95.  It is no wonder that folks are looking at thin
clients and storage area networks very seriously for the future.

	As a comparison, all the stuff I have created on my linux boxes as far back
as RH 5.2 still works today, the upgrades are cost effective, and my boxes
all run for months without crashing.

Hope this helps,

Ben