[luau] MSWindows

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 00:22:00 PDT 2002

>On Saturday 26 January 2002 19:14, someone wrote:
> > Sup guys,
> > I'm a heavy Windows user, and a Linux newbie.
> > Why are open-source gurus so adamant towards Microsoft?

1) Microsoft has done some genuinely arrogant stuff. (netscape & java come
immediately to mind.) They only really like standards that they control. M$
is a really big boat and leaves a big wake, kinda makes it hard on the
little skiffs trying not to capsize. Can you blame them for griping?
Wherever we want to go today, M$ seems to be in the way.
2) Class war-fare: IT managers made windows a success, not the techies, who
always preferred unix or maybe even mac (though ATT & Apple have their
problems too). Linux is the techies' revenge.
3) Everyone loves to knock the top dog - we used to hate IBM when they
looked unbeatable, now I can't remember why, except they had an incredibly
strict dress code and a snotty attitude. For all I know they still do, but
no one bothers to hate them any more.

I've always tried to resist all this, since its kind of a waste of time and
why complain about the systems that other people want to use? With windows
2000 they actually came up with something worth using, though it is not
perfect. Having made that mistake, they couldn't resist coming out with XP
and all its little sneaky arrogant bits. They call this an *up*grade?

Dave