[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jul 26 21:15:01 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 15:29, MonMotha wrote:
> What kind of cable modem you got (don't need any serial numbers or
> anything, just a manufacturer and model number if possible, possibly a
> physical description of the casing)?
>
> --MonMotha

Hawaii RoadRunner has a mix of three modems that I've seen...
1. Original big and white Motorola "Wave" modems with slight overheating
problems.  10mbit Ethernet interface only.
2. Half-size black Motorola "Wave" modems that still have overheating
problems.  10mbit ethernet interface only.
3. DOCSIS (sp?) protocol, can't remember brand name, little and black
modem that doesn't overheat.  USB and 10mbit ethernet interfaces, you
can choose.

Over the years I've had the modem changed 8 times, once because the
modem burned itself out with smoke coming out the top, the other
majority was when the signal in my area was very poor and they kept
changing it in an effort to avoid fixing the area wiring (they
eventually fixed the area wiring).  I have only personally had the white
and black "Wave" modems and not the smaller one at home.

The techs once said that they like the earlier modems because they can
take it anywhere on the island, plug it in at someone's house (if their
wiring is good) and use their Internet with no problem.  This cannot be
done with the newer modem, they said.  I once asked an Oceanic cable
executive if this was against the ToS, and he said no, but it probably
wouldn't work because many houses without RR have high enough quality
internal wiring to have enough signal.  I tried the modem in other
people's houses twice 2 years ago, but haven't since and I have no plans
to do it again.  Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the
policy to forbid this since then.  I personally wouldn't mind.