[luau] Re: Configuring Router

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Jul 26 08:50:00 PDT 2002

Mitchel Kagawa wrote:
> We have a commercial RR account and I believe we pay ~$90 /month with 1
> static IP.  This is for their basic buisness account @ $80  and $10 extra
> for the static IP.  We also have a DSL account with Lava.net for our e-mail
> server and other servers and such.  The DSL line only nets us 1.544mb/384kb
> which is slow compared to RR and is approximately the same price providing
> we don't go over our alloted bandwith...  We needed the extra speed that RR
> provided as well as the uncapped bandwith because we download large files
> from MHPCC daily sometimes as much as 2gigs/day.  With RR we have been able
> to achieve download speeds 7 to 8 mb/sec (close to the theoretical limits of
> the modem itself).  300 meg files now take minutes compared to the hours we
> used to wait for DSL.  So as far as speed is concerned RR is definately the
> winner.
>
> As far as reliability goes DSL is the winner there... We have only lost our
> connection maybe 4 times last year.  compared to 2-3 times /month with RR.
> This is why we keep our servers on DSL.
>
> ~MK

Seems that RR cable service varies a LOT from region to region.  I know
in some places they are REALLY picky about the no servers thing, while
in others they mostly don't care.

As I said, the commercial/business RR accounts here are very high price.
  For all but the low end 256/256 it's usually cheaper for me to just
get people a fractional T1.  The up front costs are higher, but the
reliability is higher.

It's odd though, I've only had my modem go down for any extended period
of time twice in the year I've had it.  Once someone cut a line and the
other time the amp needed to be turned up at the street.  Every once in
a while they take it down for an hour or so for maintainance, but that's
usually at like 2:00 in the morning and only people like me notice it.
Obviously that's unacceptable for a web server though, so that's why I
go with the fractional T1s as they cost about the same amount usually.

Also, RR business here only goes up to about T1 speeds at their top end
(and they charge you almost as much or sometimes more than I can get a
T1 for).  Anything more than 1.544 symmetric and you have to get a
"real" line through the telephone company (and pay big $$$ as you're
getting a fractional T3 or sometiems you can convince them to put in the
rarely-seen-but-still-exists T2.

DSL around here is horribly unreliable due to the phone company, but if
you look around you can get it dirt cheap.  I'm in the process of
waiting for the phone company to install a $80/mo 1.5/768 DSL line with
a commercial ToS.

--MonMotha