[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Mitchel Kagawa mitchel at navships.com
Thu Jul 25 09:51:00 PDT 2002

We have a commercial RR account and I believe we pay ~$90 /month with 1
static IP.  This is for their basic buisness account @ $80  and $10 extra
for the static IP.  We also have a DSL account with Lava.net for our e-mail
server and other servers and such.  The DSL line only nets us 1.544mb/384kb
which is slow compared to RR and is approximately the same price providing
we don't go over our alloted bandwith...  We needed the extra speed that RR
provided as well as the uncapped bandwith because we download large files
from MHPCC daily sometimes as much as 2gigs/day.  With RR we have been able
to achieve download speeds 7 to 8 mb/sec (close to the theoretical limits of
the modem itself).  300 meg files now take minutes compared to the hours we
used to wait for DSL.  So as far as speed is concerned RR is definately the
winner.

As far as reliability goes DSL is the winner there... We have only lost our
connection maybe 4 times last year.  compared to 2-3 times /month with RR.
This is why we keep our servers on DSL.

~MK