[luau] blindsided

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 25 08:22:01 PDT 2002

Sorry, not a linux specific question, but hey, it's for my linux box ;o)

I have a Dell Precision 530 workstation, one of those dual Xeon systems,
though I ordered only a single processor.  I recently ordered a second
processor from a company called Googlegear.com (this is where the bad
karma comes in...).  Basically I ordered a 1.5Ghz Xeon processor.  I got
it, and installed it, and get a processor mismatch warning.  So I go
reading through the (ok, admittedly, not-so-)fine print, and find out that
what they sent me was a Xeon processor that only supports dual processing.
I hadn't known there was such a beast.  Any ideas whether this thing ought
to work?  I'm thinking that I need two "independent operation capable"
processors for my box.

The unhappy ending is that the company isn't very kind, they're charging
me a 15% restocking fee + I pay shipping.  My explanation that what I
ordered and what I got is, according to them, not valid, as I ordered an
item with a particular part number and got an item with that part number.
Kind of a bait-n-switch, but not a lot that I can do.

Sorry if I'm just ranting, it's been a long morning already.

-Charles