[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jul 24 22:09:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "MonMotha" <monmotha at indy.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] Re: Configuring Router

> There's a reason they prohibit servers.
>
> I dunno what you guys are capped at out there, but I hear it's even
> higher than what I'm at here.
>
> Here I get 2.5/.5 for $45/m.  That amount of bandwidth probably costs
> them (even at the rate they buy it) about $1000/m.  They gamble that you
> won't use it all most of the time.  When you run a server, you mess that
> up.  If you want to run a server, they offer "commercial contracts"
> where you can do whatever you want as long as it's not illegal (same
> thing you get with like a T1).  These contracts cost a LOT more (usually
> around $200-$700/m), but still less than buying a "real line" from the
> phone company.  The reason they cost more is that you're using more.

It isn't entirely clear, but I've seen documents here saying that our
bandwidth cap is either 2mbit/384kbit or 3mbit/384kbit.  I have confirmed
through experience that 384kbit is our upload cap, but I often see wildly
varying download speeds sometimes exceeding 3mbit.  Whatever it is, I am
happy with my download speed because it is usually far faster than a T1, but
very low price.  No DSL company can compare, with the exception of
$500/month 7.1mbit DSL from a local provider that I shouldn't mention by
name.

> Here's an idea though, and this might actually be possible since you
> guys are on small islands and seem to be fairly well organized.  Use
> various devices to set up a big public access network.  Start off with
> T1s and upgrade as you go.  Eventually you'll become so big, that the
> telco might be willing to PEER with you.  This ain't buying bandwidht
> folks, this means you ARE another telco (expect them to fight it at
> first though; telcos HATE competition).  Telephone companies have no
> choice but to peer with others, otherwise they're of no use.  Ideas for
> links:
>
> *RONJA: http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/ronja/
> *Directional Microwave, 802.11b/g, or possibly 802.11a
> *If two people live next to each other or close enough where buying a
> right of way is feasable, go all out and run fiber!

Our (Linux) population density is too thin for wired connections, while I
highly doubt we can convince (normal) people that we're better and more
dependable than RoadRunner or the various DSL providers.  I don't even think
a wireless co-operative would work for most of us, but I'm willing to
explore the possibility.  Anyone else?

> Unfortunately the startup costs are EXTREMELY high (and you need some
> dedicated individuals to maintain it), but it's amazing what you can do
> when you have a community owned network.  You can run native IPv6 on it
> and offer VoIP services.  Every telephone can have it's own phone
> number, or be tied to a central one for the house.  Built in voicemail,
> caller ID, etc.  The possibilities are endless.
>
> Extreme idea.  You bet, I probably wouldn't even bother trying.  But
> that gives you a good idea of what roadrunner and others are trying to
> do.  It's not easy to provide high speed internet at reasonable prices.

Bottom line... if you want to safely run any website that more than you and
several friends will use (extremely low bandwidth), you should use a virtual
host provider.  There are many extremely cheap virtual host providers out
there where you can pay $7-25 per month for varying levels of service.

I will soon run my own co-located server at a local ISP, sharing monthly
costs with some of my trusted friends.  This will be used for several low
bandwidth business sites, along with some personal sites.  Anyone else
interested in joining a co-operative dedicated server for both personal and
commercial purposes?