[luau] MPLUG Status Update 7/23/2002

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 09:16:00 PDT 2002

>4) I am soon talking with Mililani High School about using LTSP to improve
>their current SunRay thin clients.  Sun really screwed up their thin client
>deployment across the country... they are extremely slow and people have
>been very unhappy with it.

I don't know.  When Hamilton library had them a few semesters ago, I thougt
they were really cool.  Very speedy actually.  And you could pull a card out
the front of them and plug it into any other sun ray and all your session
state would be instantly restored.  I guess the demo at UH used a beefier
server than waht Mililani bought.

>  I am quite sure that with LTSP I will be able to
>either augment or replace their SunRay server-side to make it into a useful
>and fast lab.

I think it's conceivable.  the SunRay's are just x servers after all.  I
think
it's worth attempting, and if i find time, i'd like to help.

>Their lab situation is rather pitiful.  Because their SunRay lab is "slow"
>they have scheduled their Java class to use a lab of Windows Celeron
>machines,

that's ironic...java specifically not taught on sun.

--Ray