[luau] (no subject)

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Tue Jul 23 17:21:01 PDT 2002

I may have missed some of this thread...

On 22 Jul 2002 at 13:49, Michael Ableyev wrote:

> service swat
> {
>         port    = 901
>         socket_type     = stream
>         wait    = no
>         only_from = localhost
>         user    = root
>         server  = /usr/local/samba/bin/swat
>         log_on_failure  += USERID
>         disable =  No
> }

The Redhat RPM for swat puts things in slightly different place then if you compile and install Samba manually.  For RH, swat is in /usr/sbin/swat.   If you want to also
connect to swat from all other machines on your local network you can add 192.168.1.0,  the 0 is a wildcard for xinetd.conf.

localhost is defined in your /etc/hosts file.  Doing anything localhost will connect to the a loopback interface which has an IP of 127.0.0.1 which is the local machine.  A
/sbin/ifconfig will show your interfaces).  I have never seen a system with TCP/IP that did not follow this standard.  Instead of modifing config files for various applications to
include your NIC's ip address I would get used to using localhost when you need to use a service on the local machine (like http://localhost:901).  Just like telnet localhost
will telnet into the same machine and your mailserver is at localhost:25 etc...