[luau] Touchpad

Michael Ableyev charon at netzero.net
Mon Jul 22 01:40:01 PDT 2002

Now, this little question may sound crazy.. at least for now, BUT..
Would anyone have any idea if it is at all remotely possible to get certain control of a laptop touchpad under lunix? By
"certain control" I mean the following: with manufacturers drivers, under winblows it's possible to scroll the window (for
example) when moving your finger vertically on the right side of the touchpad. Now, you may say: Well thats with manufacturer's
driver and I how the heck your going to recognize touchpad edges? But! it seems they already are recognized! When I tap twice
(equal to click + drag) and then move to the edge of the touchpad, the pointer seems to slowly move  in the direction of the
edge of the touchpad. It is possible, though, that this is recognized on the hardware level and that'll proly make things a
whole lot more difficult. But, then again, I did see this function on several different laptops (is it a standrad?)
Unfortunately, i'm not a knowledgable programmer and wouldn't know how to access hardware on low level, neither would I know how
to bind that "side axis" to a scroll bar of a currently active window (and that is IF it's a standrad!). Nonetheless, this is
one of those little things that will need to be implemented (imho) if linux is to compete as a notebook os.
So.. anyone have any idea where I should start looking for clues?