[luau] pcmcia network cards and apm

Michael Ableyev charon at netzero.net
Sat Jul 20 23:13:04 PDT 2002

> That's definately wrong.  Slackware certainly has runlevels (cat
> /etc/inittab).  However, it's init scrips aren't SysV style (they're
> somewhat BSDish), so they don't behave the same way.

Ack! I meant to say Slackware doesn't have _those_ runlevels, meaning "like Red Hat".. /me is feeling stupid :P

Anyway.. I figured it out, slackware just didn't do it for me automagically because (now i remember) it couldnt detect the nic
during install. So all I had to do was fill out network.opts in /etc/pcmcia.

Which brought me to another question: interface configuration is done twice (by default) if you have a pcmcia nic?
During installation if the nic is not detected you're still offered to fill out network configuration. If you do that, and then
after the install is over just load up the proper modules for your pcmcia card. Everything seems to be jolly good except when you
suspend.
Now then.. after filling out the network.opts it's initialized through the pcmcia script as well as rc.inet1 which was initially
filled out by netconf or whatever is being run during install.