[luau] Going Rate for certs:

karibdis karibdis at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 20 20:51:00 PDT 2002

Hey all,

      I have been doing some checking around town (oahu) in the last
couple of days for *nix / linux / RH certs, and have found that the
going rate is around $1000 - $1500 just for the class, not even
including the test!  I am aware that most of these classes are business
oriented, and a business would of course be able to put out these resources.
      However, my situation is entirely different.  I was just wondering
if anybody knew of any cheaper alternatives that someone in my position
( I won't bore you all with the details, suffice it to say "financially,
as well as spelling bee :) challenged",  and financial aid is a long
shot at best, could turn to.  Rest assured, my pursuit of knowledge will
not be limited by a piece of paper, but that piece of paper often helps
a great deal.

                                                Thanks,
                                                        karibdis
                                                     Scott Scheurman

Ps- (linuxdan from Comp USA:

      $1,595 ea. for:
                linux plus
                Unix fundamentals lvl 1/2
                Unix Sys Admin
                Unix utilities & tools

What type of cert would you get from these classes, how could you apply
it to "real world" practice,  And please justify spending $1600 for a
piece of paper. ( Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but I
would value your input and response, thanks. )