[luau] [LinuxForSchools] Volunteer information

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Jul 19 23:45:01 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I have just updated the LinuxForSchools Wiki with some information.  Now I
am ready to add some information about potential volunteers.  Anyone who
wishes to help out, please *privately* email me the information requested
below.  Note, these information are only used to assist us when special
situations arise.  Anyone is free to volunteer just by showing up at work
sites.  The information gathered here is for organizational purposes only.

Ok, here is the list of information that would be useful.

1.  Full Name.  No aliases or nicknames, please.  I have nothing against
them.  But if this is going to be an official project web site.  I think
we need to use real names.

2.  Online contact information.  Email is fine.  The email address itself
will not be visible on the Wiki.  It will be hidden behind your name.
This will hopefully prevent those spammers from getting your email
address.  If you have no email address, that is ok too.  Other contact
information may include AIM username, or ICQ uin value.

3.  Phone number.  This information will not be posted on the Wiki.  I
just need it in case I need to reach you via voice line.  This information
will be kept on my home computer only.  And maybe perhaps a printout.  It
will not be publicly shared!  Only members will have access to this
information.

4.  Capability information, what will you be able to contribute?  I.e.
have EPROM programmer, have CDROM burner, have knowledge of Solaris, etc.
Any special abilities or access is acceptable too.  For instance, if you
are a retailer and you get special discounts.  Or if you have access to a
large storage warehouse.  If all you can provide is manual labor, also
mention whether you have transportation, i.e. a car or a truck.
Basically, mention anything that might help with a project that needs to
transport potentially heavy equipment around the island.

A special capability, such as being friends with someone influential,
would also be useful.  I.e. if you are a friend of the principle of a
potential recipient school, you can act as the contact point or something.
There are many ways to contribute.  Be imaginative when describing your
capability.  ;-)

5.  Availability.  When are you available for service?  I.e. weekends
only, weeknights, etc.  This information is for future use.  If we provide
technical support for the schools, it would be nice to know who is
available and when.

6.  Area of residence.  This is used for support as well.  In case someone
needs to go to the school, it might be helpful if it was someone from the
area.  Note, you do not need to reside in Hawaii to volunteer.  If your
special capability is knowledge, then that can be provided from any
location.

7.  Include anything else that might be of importance.  I will add this
part to the 'commments' column.  The more information you provide, the
easier it is for us to find the right volunteer for special purposes.

I will gather all responses and put them on the Wiki.  If there is
anything you want me to leave out of the Wiki, let me know in the email.
Note, only share with me the information you are willing to trust to
someone you have only known through a mailing list.  If you wish, you can
send me this information after we have met face-to-face at our first
offline meeting.

To to prevent any accidents of sending the response to the mailing list,
do not reply to this post.  Compose a new email, and use my Flex email
address in my signature below.  Thanks.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org