[luau] Recording of Linux for Schools online meeting

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jul 19 17:24:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimen Ching" <jching at flex.com>
To: "LUAU" <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] Recording of Linux for Schools online meeting

Jimen, thanks for the summary.

> 1.  PCI bus based
> 2.  100BaseT minimum (GigE will probably be considered)
> 3.  Must have network boot ROM socket

GigE is not necessary at this point.

> If possible, please provide the card name, manufacturer (i.e. 3COM, etc),
> price range, retailer URL or address, part number for the EPROM (if
> known), and comment about its reliability (i.e. whether you recommend it
> or avoid at all costs).  Since we plan to hook up a bunch (at least 5)
> thin clients to each server, we will be buying these by the dozen.  The
> schools might have the front the money, so try to find good qualify, but
> cheap NICs.

A typical server would handle 20 clients+.  A powerful dual Athlon server
with 3GB RAM could possibly handle 60 or more clients.

> I phoned Juliet Begley of the DOE's Computer Recycling Program
> (http://www.k12.hi.us/~crecycle/) concerning possible NIC hardware.  It
> turns out they only accept complete systems and deliver them to school as
> soon as possible.  So they do not store donated computers.  I will put
> everything I learned about them on the LTSP Wiki.  Warren, if this is not
> the group you wanted me to contact, let me know.

I'm sorry I should have communicated more effectively.  I meant to say the
Computer Recycling store in Mapunapuna that typically has tons of used
hardware.  After we have convinced the DOE of our effectiveness, we will try
to get computers from the DOE Computer Recycling Program for deployment into
DOE schools