[luau] The true evil of Microsoft's Palladium

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Fri Jul 19 11:07:00 PDT 2002

After reading this article, I wondered why Linux plays catch-up on M$
ideas? I am not a programmer, so I can't affect change in the Linux
community by writing code to enhance the OS. But why doesn't the Linux
community go on the offensive instead of playing defense? I understand
that a lot of these people who do the work for those of us who enjoy the
OS are not paid. I try to buy my Linux software when I can afford too
just to "do my part" in trying to advance Linux. But I think Linux
should take the initiative and start being pro active. I think Linux
should beat M$ to the punch, much like AMD did to Intel in the race for
1GH procs.I also believe we need to evangelize better. I just saved my
company $5000.00 for a complete email server with webmail and virus
scanning at the server, using freebsd, qmail, apache, PHP, squirrelmail,
courier-IMAP, total cost $0.00. I did have to pay $200.00 for the email
scanning software from Vexira, but I didn't mind considering the cost of
alternatives i.e. Norton, McAffee, etc..

Just my two cents,

Jon