[luau] Requirements of Linux for Schools Projects

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Jul 18 14:19:01 PDT 2002

Hi all LTSP contributors,

I have a few comments about this project.  But first, let me say that it
is great to see that this project is moving forward so fast.  No matter
what kind of road blocks might come up, I think this project should
continue because the local schools and students will benefit a lot.

Concerning how to proceed with the project, I have the following comment:

1.  I think the biggest problem I currently see with the project is that
it lacks a secretary.  I.e. since Warren is doing most of the work so far,
the rest of the LUAU members don't really have an up-to-date status.  I.e.
how many computers are available right now?  What are their
configurations, etc?  Clearly, Warren is not the only one who can gather
this informaiton.  You don't need to know Linux to do administrative work
on the project.

2.  I think the LTSP should be independent of the MPLUG name.  I know
Warren has been doing most of the work so far, and he is the head of the
MPLUG.  I think we can get a lot more volunteers if it was an independent
group.  Scott suggested a non-profit organization.  That is a great idea.
That should be the direction LTSP should be going.

3.  Concerning the qualification of LTSP recipients, I agree again with
Scott.  I think a complete solution approach is better than just delivery
of black boxes and initial training.  I think the only way LTSP is going
to succeed is if the requirements are as small as possible.

4.  Concerning the cost to the recipient, I think it should be reduced as
much as possible.  If we use the complete solution approach, that should
make it a lot easier to calculate the cost.  We should also be providing
a form of consultation service.  I.e. going to the schools and evaluating
their computer lab, and power availability, and other potential problems.
The project should do as much of the work as possible.

5.  I do not see why the LTSP project can not have two teams.  I.e. if
some people are only available on the weekends, then there should be a
weekend team.  If other people are only available during the weekdays,
then there should be a weekday team.  I do not understand why we can only
have one team that only meets at one specific time of day in one location.