[luau] Requirements of Linux for Schools Projects

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Jul 18 08:44:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 02:28, you wrote:
> DRAFT #1
> This is a list things that I require of schools in order to be eligible for
> my services and equipment through MPLUG.
>
> 1. Linux Training
> ---------------
> One faculty/staff member must be trained in the maintenance of Linux.  This
> includes maintaing user accounts, backups, troubleshooting basic networking
> problems, installing and maintaining the software and LTSP menuing system,
> and several other tasks.
> I will require most of these people to setup their own mini-LTSP demo
> network at home between a Linux desktop and lesser thin client.  This home
> network setup need not be permanent, but it is essential to learning how
> the system works, and better understanding how to maintain it.
>
> 2. Hardware and Networking Equipment
> A. School must buy LTSP server sufficiently powerful to handle requested
> number of clients.  Server must have room for future expansion with a
> larger # of thin clients.  I must approve of your server specs before
> proceeding with delivery.
> B. School must buy PXE or tftp bootable network cards compatible with LTSP.
> Please refer to http://www.ltsp.org and http://k12ltsp.org for more info
> until I find more specifics.
> C. School must buy network switches, cabling and other related
> interconnection pieces.
>
> 3. RHN Service
> withhold all services and support.  $5 a month is a small price to pay in
> the amount of time it saves you, and it is a good way of saying thanks to
> the company that invests heavily into constantly improving the operating
> system.
> Yes K-12 institutions do qualify for free RHN service, but you are too
> cheap for my tastes if you can't pay $5 a month for a server.  However, I
> would not mind you using the free academic RHN service for standalone Linux
> workstations.
>
> This list is a DRAFT and subject to revision when I feel like putting
> effort into it...

I feel like putting some effort into it.  I agree that from a support
perspective that it is paramount to have a "point" person who is in charge of
on-site support.  People will hate the LTSP if the computer is not friendly
enough to them.  A trained person will be a challenge, but it will be
important.  I agree with this.

Requiring a RHN subscription is, well, is obvious.  It is such a great
service and we need it to watch our backs.  No one is too cheap for my
tastes, though.  Sometimes school administrators are cheap because they are
broke.  I don't want their shortcomings to disqualify them from our help.
Let me elaborate.

I think that we will have the most success here if we offer a total solution
to a school.  I fear that many don't even have the cash for a server, nics,
and cables.  I will not let them be left behind.  We are here to include, not
exclude.  What I propose is that we organize a non-profit corporation.  I can
take care of this unless someone else chooses to volunteer.  We can then
accept donations and solicit for grants.

I would like to see us organize along these lines.  While it is a bit more
formal, it could afford us more resources.  Then, we could go to a school in,
say, Waimanolo, and offer them the whole kit and kaboodle (sp?) without them
needing cash.  This is the long-term direction we should take.  Short-term,
if someone wants an install, they will have to come up with the server.  We
will hopefully have more powerful machines donated to us in the next month
that could function as servers, though.

Ultimately, what I want us to require of a school is that they have someone
willing to learn how to administrate the system.  I would like to see our
group take care of the resources required to create this learning experience.
We could be so much more successful this way.

scott