[luau] Requirements of Linux for Schools Projects

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 18 02:29:00 PDT 2002

DRAFT #1
This is a list things that I require of schools in order to be eligible for
my services and equipment through MPLUG.

1. Linux Training
---------------
One faculty/staff member must be trained in the maintenance of Linux.  This
includes maintaing user accounts, backups, troubleshooting basic networking
problems, installing and maintaining the software and LTSP menuing system,
and several other tasks.
I will require most of these people to setup their own mini-LTSP demo
network at home between a Linux desktop and lesser thin client.  This home
network setup need not be permanent, but it is essential to learning how the
system works, and better understanding how to maintain it.

2. Hardware and Networking Equipment
A. School must buy LTSP server sufficiently powerful to handle requested
number of clients.  Server must have room for future expansion with a larger
# of thin clients.  I must approve of your server specs before proceeding
with delivery.
B. School must buy PXE or tftp bootable network cards compatible with LTSP.
Please refer to http://www.ltsp.org and http://k12ltsp.org for more info
until I find more specifics.
C. School must buy network switches, cabling and other related
interconnection pieces.

3. RHN Service
withhold all services and support.  $5 a month is a small price to pay in
the amount of time it saves you, and it is a good way of saying thanks to
the company that invests heavily into constantly improving the operating
system.
Yes K-12 institutions do qualify for free RHN service, but you are too cheap
for my tastes if you can't pay $5 a month for a server.  However, I would
not mind you using the free academic RHN service for standalone Linux
workstations.

This list is a DRAFT and subject to revision when I feel like putting effort
into it...
Warren